Saturday, March 17, 2012

I write a fishing blog?!?!

I can not let an entire year go by with out getting to this blog. With the best of intentions I want to "catch up". Or even write a trip report when I do get out fishing. Couple things about that. To catch up I have countless trips from last year some very notable that deserve their own blog post. I'm obsessed with it being in order. Then current trip reports are non existent because I have not been fishing :(
Not fishing to me is different then not fishing to the world. Last trip was 12/28 until this one I just went 3/2. Fishing got put on the back burner in exchange for my triathlon training.
Not only are both time consuming but both require my extra fun money.
Fishing locally is changing from what we did in the past. Rockfish closures from Jan 1 to Mar 1 sent the local boats to Mexico to fish. This year Mexico decided to require visas to fish in their waters. Visas are to cost like $35 for a day. That's on top of ticket, Mexican permit & the usual costs. It kept everyone fishing local with limited options what to fish for. Well seems the sheepshead bite was HOT this off season. & BIG ones! So while I had planned on not missing out during this time I really still did.
I finally did make it out after the rockfish opener on what will be one of my favorite memorable trips. It was Katalina's first fishing trip. Everyone kept advising me to wait. Taking both kids on my own would be to hard. She is my more spirited adventurous child so she needs constant supervision. Well I'm the mom who takes her kids on her own & flies to vacations. Goes solo to themeparks. I live my life with two kids on my own. I could not wait any longer! Plus Martin is experienced now he doesn't need my constant attention so I knew I could attend to Kat. Martin got his own rod & reel from Grandma which he needs to learn how to use & hold on his own.
Turns out not giving Martin sea sick meds took him out a lot of the trip. He got sick once & slept a lot. Kat had another little girl her age on the boat to play with (that never happens) she quickly bored with fishing & played. Then I didn't do much catching! When I finally DID hook a fish I got caught up in the moment & reeled it in myself OOOPS! I still have to get Kat to wind in her first fish.
It was so great to be back out there. Taking both my kids fishing. This opens the chance for me to keep doing it & going fishing more! Both my kids have fished their first time on the same boat as me. I love this passing on through generations.

1 comment: