Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Fred Hall Show

Every year the Fred Hall Show comes to Long Beach & then 2 weeks later San Diego. It's basically a convention or expo for the west coast (mainly) fishing industry & boat show.
I remember going with my family every year when I was young. I even worked a booth at the show one year when I worked at the sportfishing landing.
Fred Hall is kinda like a fisherman's toy store! There is booths for all the gear, sport boat landings, clothing, destinations like Alaska & mexico.
They have all sorts of boats, trucks, trailers, even jacuzzis displayed & for sale.
I had never been to the show in Long Beach. This year it worked out that I was gonna be leaving to go out of town the day the SD show started. So I made plans to go to the LB show. It is something I always wanted to do & had heard the show is much bigger!
How it worked out is I drove up to LB with Rebecca (my cousin) her boyfriend George, my 2 kids. George also fishes & he was gonna go to the show with me, while Rebecca was gonna watch my kids & visit with her sister who lived nearby.
The show in Long Beach was HUGE!!! I had a great time seeing all the booths, checking out new stuff, running into old friends!
I had brought a list & $ to get stuff! I did not end up getting every thing on my list cause I ended up falling in love with a reel!



It is a Newell 220 made from clear graphite, one of only 50!
I have never seen anything like it & couldn't pass it up!
I also got a rod holder for my garage, a new fishing sweatshirt BOOYAA!
Here is the world record 405 pound yellowfin tuna caught on the Vagabond



Here is me in front of the tuna



Hook used to catch great white shark (for research) it illegal to kill them.



Now the main reason for attending the Long Beach show was cause I was leaving town the weekend of the San Diego show for a triathlon. (see my other blog) BUT somehow the urge to go took over & before heading out of town I took the opportunity to go and take my kids! I have memories of going as a family when I was young & carrying on these traditions with my kids is awesome. AND since I failed to take many pictures in Long Beach I did this time. The SD show is at the Del Mar fairgrounds & I would say this show much more kids friendly & accessible (as far as the kid friendly activities go).



Kids checking put kayaks!



Besides fishing gear & boats SUVs & trucks for sale how else are you gonna tow & haul your gear/boat


My dream boat


Kids got free hats!



Trailers too!!!



Chilling in the pontoon boat



Dead animals



Exhibit hall



Fishing seminars throughout the show all weekend!



Tanks with live fish for demos
Fresh water tank


Salt water tank


Lobster



Sand bass


Crab





Jacuzzi for sale for after the trip!



























Free tackle boxes too!! Friends of Rollo is a non profit that promotes kids fishing! It began in memory of Rollo a capt who died in an accident on the boat. :( they gave away free tackle boxes with free kids fishing passes.





Exhibit hall





My son with an elk...hunting also part of show. I would totally go hunting!!! But only kill what I would eat SO no rabbits, quail, or bears...





Kids casting contest...dude just about pee'd his pants when mom made it in first shot...that's right I'm a fisher-chick!!!!





It's at the fairgrounds so they got all the yummy fried food!





Dock dogs! They jump up to 25 feet off the "dock", there is a competition & show. We just got to see the warm ups











Kids fishing...catch a trout...which I opted not to keep!





He was scared of the trout :(





I got a new hat :)





We competed in the duck races! We lost & I still don't know why j was the one stuck holding the duck!!





That pretty much sums up the Fred Hall show... Wait! There is one last part of the show!!!! These booths are about every 40 feet haha





Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment