Saturday, June 4, 2011

My new reel

I think it is obvious I love fishing. I love it so much I will go out even when the fishing isn't off the charts amazing! I do this for a few reasons...




One there is always a chance that I will be out there the day conditions change and the fish show up




Two just cause the fish aren't biting doesn't mean I wont see amazing marine life (I love whales, dolphins, even sharks, sunfish, all kinds of cool stuff) I don't get so jazzed about sea lions or seals but I saw an otter once that was rad.




Three there is never a bad day on the water (do I say this EVERY post?). For me it is not just about fishing, it is about getting away from reality and relaxing, enjoying the smells and sights you can only get out there on the ocean.




I still wonder how fishing is what I love. It is so not girly (I was always a tomboy I guess) but I swear it is something in your blood. My mom was one of the best anglers I have ever known. She was LUCKY to hook some amazing fish but had the TALENT to land them.




I must have gotten her fishing genes.




Everything about fishing appeals to me. I love the knots, all the gear, rods, reels, boats, anchors, gaffs, nautical terms....I love that eat type of fishing requires different set up, hooks, techniques, rods, reels, jigs, etc etc




I still have so much to learn and see in my life.





It is one of the reasons I love the boat shows. Which this year I set out to get a new rod & reel. Somehow I went from looking at spinning reels to getting a Newell 220 conventional.






The thing about my spinning reels is that I can cast with accuracy and distance. It is comfortable for me. It is what I have always used since I pulled in my first fish at age 11.





I have been so scared to use a convention reel because I am not as skilled at it. I am worried about backlash. That is where the line balls up in the reel when you do not keep accurate pressure on the reel while casting. I feel like I won't be able to keep up with the fishing because I am not as good at using conventional reels. The ONLY standing in my way from being a great fisherman is my own self! I just need to practice! I just need to go for it, get out of my comfort zone and try. The thing is you don't wanna be "practicing" or trying to figure out a new reel in the middle of a wide open bite!! So it was good that I finally took my new toy out for a test ride when fishing was possibly slow.
This is THE REEL! I honestly bought it because it was special. Only 50 of them made! And it looks so damn cool!!! But as it turns out once I got it on a rod (my buddy Jason loaned me the perfect rod!) and started using it I found it to be perfect for me!




I started out just flipping my baits underhand while fishing the bottom. It was such a fun set up to fish! & one reason I got the reel was cause everyone wants to check it out. There is nothing like it. So every time I walked away from it one of the crew was fishing my rod (perfectly acceptable with me). Then we anchored up in the kelp beds to try to get some calico bass.




I never want to say that any type of fishing is my favorite BUT calico bass fishing is up there (with all the rest-except maybe squid fishing once was enough for me).




Anyway calico bass fishing is one of my best skills! There is so much technique involved and just finesse to it.




The only bad part about today was that the fishing was not that good. I got bit on the bottom one short sand bass, and a few short calico bass. I managed to get one legal calico and just when it was time for the 1/2 day to be over the bass seemed like they were ready to bite. The only good news was it was a great chance for me to start casting my new reel and I did a great job! I didn't have the distance and accuracy I want just yet BUT no backlashes and it came totally natural to me!




I am so excited for the upcoming season I think that this is going to take me to a whole new level of fishing and prepare me to take on bigger fish in the long run when I can go on longer range trips!!

my one and only legal fish this trip a calico bass

1 comment:

  1. Zzzzzzz... (HAHAHAHA! You know I HAD to make that comment to this post, right!?)

    ReplyDelete